I think it was Welshy who first brought my attention to the possibility of having wedding speeches before eating rather than after. And Knig Steffen has also been known to allude to it, albeit subtly.
I am somewhat divided on the issue (insomuch as I can be, given that I am so well-adjusted and all!)
1. I prefer speeches after. (Quite basic this one.)
2. But… I am reliably informed people get nervous about speaking.
3. But… they are wusses, and should get on with it.
4. But… I need to keep my best man happy so he doesn’t infest our special day with vicious lies.
5. But… I will be hungry and so will other guests, and you don’t want them not listening through hunger.
6. But… I don’t want to actually make the other speakers unhappy.
7. But… you can have the starters already out on display as people arrive if you do the eating first, and it might look pretty.
8. But… we probably aren’t having starters!
9. But… People need time for their food to settle down before shaking their bootay on the dance floor.
I don’t know. I suppose the first thing to do is to speak to the relevant parties and find out how concerned they are.
What do you think?! Before or after?